Thursday, May 6, 2010

Pictures that define motherhood

We are that Family is doing a giveaway and asking for pictures that define motherhood. I chose this one for many reasons. Truth is, my brother took this picture when our youngest was born. I was trying to bribe my two year old with goldfish so he would sit still in the photoshoot with his big brother t-shirt on. But, as all two-year-olds typically do, he spilled all the snack on the floor. And I bent down to help him automatically. Don't we as mothers just automatically do most things? We automatically jump out of bed at 3 in the morning when we hear crying. We automatically get up every morning to prepare milk and breakfast before the coffee is brewed. We automatically and instinctively jump when we hear THAT cry that makes you cringe. We just do it---whatever "it" is everyday. Because we are mom. We kiss "boo-boo's" . We comfort when there is hurt feelings. We know every milestone in our hearts, whether we write it down or not. We love unconditionally--even when they complain about a meal or a costume we have worked so hard on. We just do. What an overwhelming job it is in the daily scheme of things. But what a blessing it is to hold their tiny hands in ours. And that is why I love this picture. Because it isn't a perfect portrait. And I am doing what I do more than once a day. And because that tiny little hand is in mine and that is what defines motherhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment